We’re Thankful That They’ve Got Our Backs
And When It Comes to Legal Matters We’ve Got Theirs
Firemen are entitled to certain presumptions promised by the law because of the dangerous nature of the job.
Firefighters are under extreme pressure and must protect the innocent with every call they take. Who is protecting them? Like other first responders, firefighters are, and should be, protected by the same rights as the average citizen. That includes the right to an attorney. Because of their dealings with the public, firefighters may find themselves litigants in civil cases, and they have the right to legal representation.
At Stephen Kelly Law, we are proud to support local firefighters and their families. Historically, firefighters are at risk of a wide range of occupational hazards and illnesses ranging from lung cancer and mesothelioma to heart/vascular disease and Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Diseases (COPD).
“We truly admire the work that Local 50 and firefighters in Illinois do to keep us safe,” said Stephen Kelly. “From years of experience, we understand the life-threatening circumstances they face every day and work hard to protect their rights.”
The members of Local 50 have served the citizens of Peoria since February 7, 1875, when the Peoria Fire Department was first organized as a fully paid fire department.
If you're a firefighter in Illinois, let us know how we can help you.
Injured Firefighters Work Information
- Medical Expenses
- Off-Work Pay
- Disability Pay
- Medical Care by Doctor of Your Choice
Types of Accidents
- Specific Accident (Altercations, Falls)
- Repetitive (Computer Use)
- Occupational Disease
Action to be Taken after Accident
- Report Accident Within 45 Days to Employer
- Report Accident Orally and in Writing
- Report Accident to Doctor
What to Report
- Date of Accident
- Description of Accident
- Description of Injured Body Part
Warning Signs/Employer Tool
- Company Doctor
- Independent Examination
- Recorded Statement
- Medical Nurse Assigned to Case
- Light Duty
- IOD – Off Work – 1 Year – PEDA
- Workers’ Compensation – Medical Bills,Disability Benefits
- Pension – On Line Duty
- PECBA – Health Insurance if Pension Awarded
Time to Report an Accident
- Within 45 Days From Specific Accident
- Repetitive Trauma – Consult an Attorney