First Responder or Essential Worker?
COVID-19 as a Workplace Injury
In 2020, the Illinois State Legislature passed a law that gives first responders and essential workers more protection if they contract COVID-19. The new law “presumes” that any COVID-19 illness is work-related and, much like the Occupational Disease Act, which gives additional weight to any workers’ compensation claim. Watch the video as Stephen Kelly takes a deep dive into this new law, the areas of classification and what you need to know as a first responder or essential worker.
Elements of Your Claim
- Burden of the Proof
- Police, Fire Personnel, EMTs or Paramedics
- Healthcare Workers
- Correction Officers
- Essential Business (example: grocery stores, pharmacies, etc.)
Facts that Eliminate Presumption
- Employee has been away from work for 14 days prior to the diagnosis
- Employee was exposed to COVID-19 by an alternative source
- Employer was following the updated CDC requirements
Have a COVID-Related Workers' Comp Claim?
Contact us today and we’ll discuss your case at no cost.